To which chapter do you owe allegiance? Episode 4 repost

To which chapter do you owe allegiance? Episode 4


Well now I have a plan, and have dived in and bought some marines, I need to work out which chapter I'm going to paint. Rather than just picking up something at random, this will be driven by the paint scheme, which feels a slightly backwards way of doing it. When you are starting out a project, it's worth taking the extra time to think through your scheme and how you will achieve it. One big mistake I made last time was coming up with a scheme that was great on a small scale, then trying to paint it hundreds of times. This led to no end of pain through the painting and basing process which I'm very keen to avoid this time.


I need to be conscious that any scheme I choose will need to be replicated 1000+ times. Because of this I need to find a scheme that is easily replicated, fast but effective and able to be done in bulk. Although marines do tend to look best with careful edge highlights, I really don't have the time or energy for that, so I am going to do a zenithal highlight for the main armour (done with a dark spray then a lighter one on top to highlight). Last few caveats, my last army was orange, red and blue and I definitely need a break from them, so those colours are out. So with this in mind, I went hunting for space marine chapters.

The Doom legion

After a bit of searching I came across a scheme that fit my criteria, the doom legion:


Turns out this is an official chapter. Their main written history focuses on a reaction to being declared heretical by an Inquisitor, along with two other chapters for some nameless transgression. The Inquisitor sent all three chapters on a crusade to the eye of terror. Rather than send all of those marines to certain death, the doom legion sent half. This half was later converted to nurgle, which would give me a nice death guard tie-in project if I felt the need later down the road. This kind of works out, I am going to assume that post the crusade Gulliman topped up the chapter to full strength with Primaris marines, or the chapter rebuilt with a mix of Primaris and first born to give me the mix of marines I have chosen, so that works out nicely. 


The paint scheme

My first test will be on a tactical squad. The plan is to locate two silver spray paints to give the shade and zenithal highlight. This will be pin lined with Nuln oil. The green and black details will be a contrast green then highlighted. Any last details will be picked out with gold and purple. 

The success of this project probably rests on the scheme working as intended, so watch this space.


For now, have a great Holidays, I’ll be back next week taking a look at what Santa left under the tree. 


-Mark 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blades of Glory -Episode 22

Tank shock

Baby's first birthday- 12 month review