A descent into madness.

 A descent into madness.


Last year a mate of mine Mark started a massive hobby project and ever since there has been a little itch that has needed to be scratched. I also wanted a big project to work on, but the big question is, what? (I mean also why? Why on earth do you want to do this to yourself?) I had always liked the look of Kasrkin and I was forced to buy a few taurox to convert into goliath rockgrinders for a tournament for my GSC army. I magnetised the taurox grinders and had my first models. Now to decide on what the big project should be? A full regiment of Kasrkin looked like a good challenge so I came up with a plan to do this:

I picked up a few boxes of Kasrkin and worked out a paint scheme that I was happy with. I needed something that I could do pretty quickly (as the regiment will end up being 510 models), that also looked good. I had tried using contrast paints before with varying levels of success and decided to give them another try for a practice model. After watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH3WGHw9eDw I had my paint scheme set.

I had been umming and ahhing about what army to take to Lakes of Blood (a tournament run in Rotorua by a wonderful, greying, Dave Lewy) in August. Do I take my GSC and not have pressure to paint anything or do I take Kasrkin? Well scions gaining the Hammer of the Emperor rule settled it for me. An army of scions deepstriking with 37 shots at ap-2 seemed pretty strong. An army of Kasrkin counting as 42nd Iotan Dragoons it is. I’m not going in to what the list is (until lists become available online) but to make the command squads with banners I have had to use Cadian guardsmen as the new Kasrkin models aren’t out yet. Now I could use these models for this tournament and then shelve them, never to see the light of day again, or…. I could also do a full Cadian regiment.

The Cadian regiment will look the same as the Kasrkin one with Kasrkin being swapped out for infantry and taurox being swapped for chimera's. I will also throw in a unit of each of the supporting units (Ogryn, Bullgryn, Heavy weapon teams, Veterns, Ratlings).

But I can’t just do the infantry right, no artillery with Astra Militarum? Absurd. So I decided in for a penny, in for a pound and I should also do 3 of each of the artillery pieces and 12 leman russ.
For those of you not following along that’s: 1138 Infantry 16 Transports 39 Tanks 10 Flyers.  It was after I had decided on the total quantity that I shared my mad plan with some friends, Mark then prompted me to write a blog about it. This is that blog. And this is my current progress:



And next on the table to be painted:




For now the painting schedule is going to be a bit slapshot as I've got the aforementioned tournament coming up so I'll be painting the pieces I need for that. From there I will try and go platoon by platoon and throw in some fun stuff in between so I don't go crazy (well, more crazy).

If you want to follow along, this is the place to do it. I'll also put up my results from any tournaments I go to and breakdowns of the lists I run.


Doug.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blades of Glory -Episode 22

Tank shock

Baby's first birthday- 12 month review